How I Missed Opportunity To Collect BET Award In Person – Burna Boy
Burna Boy and his Mother [Photo: Instagram]
Nigerian Afro-fusion singer Damini Ogulu, known professionally as Burna Boy, has explained why he failed to collect his BET award in person despite being in attendance at Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles on June 24.
Through a tweet, Burna Boy explained that he had stepped out when he was called out as the winner of the Best International act in 2019.
Sharing the missed opportunity, the On the Low singer narrated that his mother, Bose Ogulu, stepped up and collected the award on his behalf.
“Funny enough I went to get a drink! I would have collected this one,” tweeted Burna Boy.
The songwriter was in the top leagues with South Africa’s Sho Madjozi who won the Best New International Act award at the 19th BET Awards.
Eritrean-American rapper Nipsey Hussle who was killed in March this year was posthumously awarded a humanitarian award and won the Best Male Hip Hop artist category.
Others winners were:
- Cardi B -Best female hip-hop artist
- Bruno Mars - Best male R&B/pop artist
- Childish Gambino -Video of the year
- Beyonce - Best female R&B/pop artist
- Lil Baby - Best new artist
- Migos - Best group
- Travis Scott featuring Drake - Best collaboration
- Cardi B - Album of the year
- Ella Mai - Viewers’ Choice award
- Mary J Blige - Lifetime Achievement Award
- Tyler Perry - Ultimate Icon award
- Regina King - Best actress
- Michael B. Jordan - Best actor
- Blackkklansman - Best movie
- Marsai Martin -Youngstars award
- Serena Williams - Sportswoman of the year
- Stephen Curry - Sportsman of the year